Sottomarini greci e la campagna 1940-1941

A friend who is writing an article on Greek submarines the first phase of the 1940-1941 campaign has asked me for a photo of the schooner Antonietta (70 GRT, 1926) sunk by the submarine Papanicolis on 22.12.1940. I was unable to comply but perhaps an AIDMEN member can supply one? Full acknowledgements will be made.

I remember seeing at the Fotototeca of the USMM photos of Italian warships shelling the Greek coast. Anyone has seen these?

Many thanks,

Platon Alexiades

Caro Platon, nel libro dell'Ufficio Storico Marina Militare, Navi Mercantili perdute, é riportato che il motoveliero (goletta) da carico ANTONIETTA, di 70 tsl, costruito nel 1926, requisito dalla Regia Marina, nentre era "in navigazione da Brindisi per Valona, il mattino del 22 dicembre 1940, alle ore 06.10, fu visto affondare avvolto dalle fiamme, nel punto 40°40' nord 18°40' est. Si ignora la causa del sinistro".

Secondo i miei appunti, "La 12^ Sq. torp. (ALTAIR) e mas hanno dato caccia al sommergibile nemico avvistato a nord di Brindisi, La caccia é continuata anche nella notte sul 23".

Cordialmente

Franco

Caro Franco,

I hope you are well and surviving this terrible period without too many difficulties! Many thanks for your quick answer. I have "Navi Mercantile perdute" which is essential for naval research.

According to the Diari di Guerra Marialbania Cartella 46 (USMM), Antonietta was observed to be on fire and abandoned by the torpedo-boat Antares at 0610 hours on 22 December 1940 in 40°40' N, 18°40' E. The torpedo-boat Aretusa (operating from Brindisi) was diverted to search for survivors but found nothing (the crew of six had been captured by Papanicolis).

Anyone has a photo of Antonietta? I know that photos of small vessels are hard to find!

On a similar subject, Quinto was sunk on 31.12.1940 by gunfire from the submarine Katsonis and a lifeboat was found shot to pieces. Italian intelligence had correctly identified the submarine. Was there any formal accusation of a war crime or the subject was dropped? Many thanks again.

Cordialmente,

Platon